Upaya creates dignified jobs for the poorest of the poor by building scalable businesses with investment and consulting support. Since 2011, Upaya has supported 12 small and growing businesses in India with investments and expertise. Upaya partners have created over 5,000 jobs. With offices in Seattle, Washington and New Delhi, India, Upaya has committed to a goal of helping partners create 15,000 jobs by the end of 2019.
Our team combines the most effective tactics of traditional poverty alleviation programs with the commercial discipline and benefits of market-driven entrepreneurship. For mission-aligned organizations and funders, we also bring our expertise as consultants to deepen the impact of poverty alleviation programs.
The success of Upaya Social Ventures and the entrepreneurs we work with is built on the diverse strengths and shared vision of its team. Follow Upaya on twitter, facebook, or linkedin to be notified when new positions open up.
Senior Associate, Social Performance Measurement
Upaya Social Ventures is seeking a full-time Senior Associate, Social Performance Measurement to join its India team. The position is based out of Bangalore.
Upaya is looking to hire a Senior Associate to drive Upaya’s Social Performance Measurement. Upaya seeks a highly detail-oriented, technology–savvy (proficiency in Salesforce, Tableau, Excel), self-starter to monitor, evaluate and present Upaya’s effectiveness as an organization, both in terms of the support it provides to its investee companies (“partners”) as well as their jobholders’ progress out of poverty. The ideal candidate will have a passion for brainstorming ideas / solutions, getting things done and for improving the lives of the poorest of the poor. The candidate should also thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and be willing to identify and pick up new assignments as needs arise.
The candidate has a background in data analytics and is comfortable with the design, interpretation, and reporting of both social and financial performance metrics. The Senior Associate will oversee data collection and survey administration in the field, data cleaning and aggregation, analysis, and work closely with Upaya’s Chief Impact Officer (CIO) on interpretation and reporting. The Associate will also liaise with Upaya’s partners, monitor their progress against financial and operational milestones, and recommend metrics that capture and communicate overall enterprise health and stability.
Reports to: India Country Director, with a dotted line to the CIO
- Prepare survey formats, train enumerators on administration and data collection.
- Work closely with agency to coordinate field logistics and schedule with partner enterprise
- Ensure clean data transfer from enumerators to Upaya systems
- Identify and capture key jobholder stories which can be case studies of impact.
- Review financial statements of portfolio partners and highlight key performance metrics and trends across categories
- Analyse data, assemble findings into “theory of change” framework
- Collaborate with Marketing Manager and CIO to update dashboards, publish reports for various stakeholders
- Work closely with CIO to aggregate all social and financial indicators and assemble holistic understanding of Upaya’s performance
- Coordinate with partner enterprises as and when required.
Master’s Degree strongly preferred: MBA or Master’s in Statistics, Data Science. Must demonstrate proficiency in quantitative research methods and data visualization. Knowledge of financial management a plus.
Skills & Experience
- 2 - 5 years of post-qualification work experience in a monitoring & evaluation function, preferably in an SME environment, is a must
- Excellent analytical and organization skills
- Competence in MS Office is required with a high level of proficiency in MS Excel
- Prior experience working with Salesforce, or other database systems, a must
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and diverse stakeholders
- Ability to work and communicate with cross country teams
- Strong written and verbal communication (fluency required in English and Hindi)
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, self-motivated environment
- Comfortable with travel to partner locations especially far-away places like north-eastern states of India and impoverished communities
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail and steadfast commitment to Upaya’s values
How to apply:
Submit a one-page cover letter stating your interest/passion to work for Upaya and how you would be a good fit for the role along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis.
Volunteers play an important role in helping Upaya and its partners achieve great heights. Bringing unique skills and experiences to the table, volunteers can strengthen an ongoing project or help create new opportunities for the organization to grow.
From time to time, the Upaya team will identify a specific need and post a volunteer job description on this page. However, we know there are plenty of folks with specific skills that could be useful to Upaya, its supporter chapters, and its partners. Please feel free to use the contact form below to express your interest in volunteering - all we ask is that you include the word "Volunteer" in the subject line.