Since 2011, Upaya Social Ventures has worked with entrepreneurs to build lasting enterprises that create jobs and improve the quality of life for India’s poorest. Upaya deploys high risk, patient equity seed capital in early-stage Small and Growing Businesses (SGBs). Upaya’s portfolio has grown to include 12 start-up businesses and is targeting to add an equal number of start-ups in the next 12 – 24 months. Our team combines the most effective tactics of traditional poverty alleviation programs with the commercial discipline and benefits of market-driven entrepreneurship. For mission-aligned organizations and funders, we also bring our expertise as consultants to deepen the impact of poverty alleviation programs.
The success of Upaya Social Ventures and the entrepreneurs we work with is built on the diverse strengths and shared vision of its team. Follow Upaya on twitter, facebook, or linkedin to be notified when new positions open up.
Now Hiring For
Upaya India director
The Director’s primary responsibility will be to lead our team of fantastic professionals in identifying, coaching and investing in early-stage companies across India. Upaya’s India Director will represent the company in industry settings and will be responsible for raising our visibility and attracting excellent early stage enterprises to apply for our programs. In addition, this role will have administrative responsibilities of ensuring proper accounting and compliance and integration with US-based partner NGO.
Reports to: Seattle, WA-based CEO
Serve as lead staff person in India, ensuring excellent program execution, team leadership and industry representation:
- Oversee Upaya Accelerator program:
- Supervise efforts to attract top-quality applications and design useful criteria to yield cohorts of strong participants
- Guide curriculum development and enable connections with subject matter experts to provide valuable content for participants
- Provide staff leadership to both cohort selection committee and ultimate investment committee
- Working with consultant Portfolio Director, oversee Upaya’s portfolio of investments, ensuring investees have the benefit of Upaya’s insights and support as they scale; report to Upaya US board on social metrics
- Serve as a member of Upaya’s management team and thought partner to the CEO, contributing to long-term strategy and team cohesion
- Oversee all Indian administration: accounting, audits, compliance, HR
Skills & Experience
- 7+ years of post-MBA work experience, demonstrated management expertise,
- Experience in impact investing, preferably with early stage companies
- Experience as an entrepreneur strongly preferred
- Excellent people management skills and demonstrated experience leading teams
- Competence in MS Office is required with a high level of proficiency in MS Excel
- Ability to work and communicate with cross country teams and diverse stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication (fluency required in English and Hindi)
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, self-motivated environment
- Comfortable with travel to partner locations esp. far-away places like north-eastern states of India and impoverished communities
- Passionate about our mission to reduce extreme poverty
- Sense of humor and fun as well as strong work ethic and steadfast commitment to Upaya’s values: Community, Risk-Taking, Tenacity, Respect and Ownership
Interested candidates please send a resume with a covering letter that clearly articulates your commitment to our work and relevant expertise to:
The position is open until filled but resumes will be reviewed starting 12 June 2017.
Volunteers play an important role in helping Upaya and its partners achieve great heights. Bringing unique skills and experiences to the table, volunteers can strengthen an ongoing project or help create new opportunities for the organization to grow.
From time to time, the Upaya team will identify a specific need and post a volunteer job description on this page. However, we know there are plenty of folks with specific skills that could be useful to Upaya, its supporter chapters, and its partners. Please feel free to use this form to express your interest in volunteering - all we ask is that you include the word "Volunteer" in the subject line.